We are proud to be one of the oldest girls' schools in the UK.
Our story began in 1710, whe Lady Eleanor Holles, daughter of the second Earl of Clare, left instructions in her Will for a trust for our endowment as a Christian foundation.
We were first located in the Cripplegate Ward of the City of London, a plaque on one of the Barbican walkways marks its original site). We then went on to occupy other premises in the City until 1878, when we moved to Hackney. Our current premises in Hampton were purpose built, and were opened in 1937 by HRH Princess Alice, the then Duchess of Gloucester.
Over the years, LEH has grown into a girls' school of national standing; one that produces girls who combine academic excellence with integrity, confidence, courage and conviction; girls that exemplify the school motto, Spes Audacem Adjuvat (Hope Favours The Bold). Many of the virtues that we aim to develop in our girls are reflected in the school coat of arms.