ArielshotofLEHWB.jpg
Aerial shot of LEH School Hampton
QA7A7427Drama5WB.jpg
The Good Witch and Dorothy in Wizard of Oz LEH production
LEHedit-20380WB.jpg
5 junior students running on the playing fields
UnderwatersingleWB.jpg
Swimming underwater in LEH Pool
LEH_March2017_192library3girlsWB.jpg
3 students in library reading

Educational Aims and Ethos

Our aim is to ensure that LEH is a school full of opportunity, challenge and friendship; a place to take risks and become bold; a place to discover passions, talents and yourself; a place that nurtures remarkable women.

We encourage our girls:

• to be exactly who they are, whatever their current interests or future aspirations.

• to benefit from the warmth, respect, and support of the entire School community as they stretch themselves to become their best, most confident selves, as students, and as citizens of the world.

• to have the freedom to experiment, express opinions, explore and take on new challenges.

• to be supported by strong role models and inspired by their peers.

• to find confidence and strength, and acquire and build the skills they need to succeed throughout their lives.

Statement of Religious Foundation

The school is a Christian foundation, but welcomes girls of all faiths and none. It is committed to the contribution it makes to society as a whole, and to equal opportunities, and it embraces diversity.


 

Black and white photo of Lady Eleanor Holles Building in Redcross Street

our history

We are proud to be one of the oldest girls' schools in the UK.

Our school was founded in 1710 in Redcross Street, in the parish of St. Giles, Cripplegate, as a charity school for the education and clothing of 50 poor girls, using money left from the will of Lady Eleanor Holles. Eleanor, who died in 1708, was the sixth daughter of John Holles, 2nd Earl of Clare and Elizabeth Vere. By the late nineteenth century, this school had expanded to educating over 300 girls and had become what we would recognise as a primary school. Under the powers of the 1869 Endowed Schools Act, the trustees of the Lady Eleanor Holles’ charity agreed in 1875 to a new scheme for the charity which caused the Trustees to add to their provision of education by opening a school for middle class girls up to the age of 16. This school opened in Hackney in 1878 and provided a much wider secondary-style curriculum. By the beginning of the twentieth century, the Trustees had closed the elementary school in Cripplegate to concentrate on the school in Hackney which, by 1902, was recognised as part of the national provision for secondary education for girls as day scholars. Girls were admitted by entrance examination and the school was fee-paying. As Hackney became more industrialised, and, with more schools for girls in the area than were needed, the Governors decided to close the school in Hackney and to take the traditions, foundation funds, and name of Lady Eleanor Holles to Hampton. In 1936 six staff and six pupils from the Hackney school moved to temporary accommodation in Teddington, whilst a purpose-built school was completed on the current site. From the 1950s, there has been a keen focus by successive Head Mistresses, supported by the governing body and parents, on expanding the scale and facilities of the school to provide both an enhanced curriculum and a wide range of extra-curricular activities.

Read more about LEH's History

 

Links with Hampton School

Hampton student and LEH student getting off shared coach

 

The school is situated next door to Hampton School, an independent school for boys, with whom we enjoy many links to the great benefit of all our pupils.

Mission Statement

Lady Eleanor Holles and Hampton School value the integrity of single-sex education for girls and boys with all the resulting advantages for specialisation and focus in learning styles, emotional, psychological and pastoral education.

Both are committed to:

  • Exploiting to the fullest advantage for the benefit of their pupils the tradition of co-operation which we believe offers the “best of both worlds”
  • Seeking and enhancing all areas of mutual co-operation and joint activity to the benefit of both schools, their staff and pupils

To achieve this, the schools have developed a Joint Liaison Committee to oversee, promote and celebrate the strong and ever-growing links between them.

There are many areas of co-operation between the two schools, including the following:

  • Millennium Boat House
  • Annual Joint Musical and other drama productions
  • Joint Choral Society
  • Modern Language Exchanges
  • CCF
  • Service Volunteers and Community Service
  • Talk! Programme and Senior Café
  • Joint Form Charity Events
  • Joint Careers Events
  • Preparation for University
  • Shared coach service